57 Mal gesehen
Texel is 30 kilometers long, which makes it the largest Wadden island. Texel is known for its fantastic beaches, beautiful nature scenes, loads of activities and great nightlife. Another characteristic of the island are the thousands of sheep.
Highlights of Texel
There are many activities you can enjoy:
- Ecomare: Information about the Wadden and North Sea and Visitor’s Centre for the National Park ‘Dunes of Texel’, which houses a permanent seal population and an exhibition on underwater life.
- Muy and De Slufter: nature reserves with fantastic flora and fauna.
- Beachcombing Museum: about the treasures found on the beach.
- Sports and Activities: you can also choose from a large range of activities, such as cycling, horseback riding, parachute jumping, (kite) surfing, sailing, canoeing, fly boarding, playing golf, bird watching tours and of course mud walking.
- Museums: visit one of the six museums or take a tour at the local beer brewery.
People visit Texel to walk along the long stretches of beach and enjoy the surroundings throughout the entire year. Some typical events are the Round Texel Race (the world’s largest catamaran race), the Sand Sculpture Festival and Blues Festival. The local specialty is the Texel lamb, which has a salty taste due to the salty grass the sheep eat during their lifetime. Also try the local spirit Juttertje.