Did you know?
Did you know?
Test your knowledge about Holland! This factsheet tells you some interesting facts about the Netherlands, which are probably new to you.
Do you want to know more about the Netherlands? Here are some funny facts about Holland you would not expect.
· The Netherlands and Holland are one and the same place?
· Holland is the third biggest exporter of agricultural produce, preceded only by the US and France, even though only 4% of the Dutch population works in the agriculture sector?
· The Netherlands has approximately 1,5 million cows, which together produce 10 billion liters of milk?
· 500 million kilos of cheese are exported per year?
· When you arrive at Schiphol Airport, you are four meters below sea level?
· The highest point in Holland is in Vaals and is 323 meters above sea level, and is also the point where the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium meet?
· 3% of the Netherlands consists of National Parks?
· The canals of Amsterdam, the former island of Schokland, the fortifications around Amsterdam, the windmills of Kinderdijk-Elshout, the Beemster Polder, the Wadden Islands, D.F. Wouda Steam Pumping Station and the Rietveld-Schröderhuis are all on UNESCO’s World Heritage List?
· Flevoland, the twelfth province, was reclaimed from the Zuiderzee (‘Southern Sea’) in 1986?
· Holland always has a coalition government, so it is a country of compromises?
· Holland was one of the six founding members of the European Community?
· Amsterdam is the capital, but the government is in The Hague?
· The International Court of Justice (at the Peace Palace) and the International Criminal Court are both situated in The Hague?
· In the Netherlands, anyone aged 14 or older is obliged to carry an original and valid proof of identity?
· Holland still has around a thousand old-fashioned working windmills?
· The mills in the Netherlands represent the age-long battle against water?
· The Van Gogh collections in the Van Gogh Museum and the Kröller-Müller Museum are the largest in the world?
· Holland has the highest concentration of museums in the world?
· Amsterdam was built entirely on piles?
· Amsterdam has over 1200 bridges?
· Rotterdam is one of the largest ports in the world?
· Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel is 6.76 meters below sea level, which is the lowest point in Holland?
· Every Dutch person owns a bike and there are twice as many bikes as there are cars?
· Holland has no less than 32,000 km of cycle paths?
· 26% of the Netherlands is under sea level?
· Holland has more than 4,400 km of navigable rivers, canals and lakes?
· You can see how Holland waged war against the sea at Deltapark Neeltje Jans in Zeeland?
· The Dutch are the tallest people in the world?
· Most Dutch people speak a foreign language as well as Dutch?
· The Dutch saying “Act normally, that’s crazy enough” fits the Dutch like a glove?
· Saint Nicholas’ Eve on 5 December is the Netherlands’ number one traditional holiday?
· There is no country in the world where more liqorice is consumed than in the Netherlands: 32 million kilos per year?
· On average, the Dutch eat 14.3 kg of cheese per person per year?
· Many of the Dutch eat raw herring with onions using only their hands?
· King Willem-Alexander, takes personal interest in water management?
Holland is beautiful in all seasons. Find the best holiday tips for spring, summer, autumn and winter.Read more
Our recommendations for more Holland information
Holland can be considered as one big exciting city. We call it HollandCity,Read more