Lake IJssel & Friesland
Lake IJssel & Friesland tour
- Starting point: Amsterdam, ending point: Amsterdam
- Picturesque villages, historic towns and Frisian lakes
- Sleep, breakfast and dine on a lovely barge while everything is taken care of for you.
Lake IJssel and Friesland
The IJsselmeer is inextricably connected with the period of prosperity in the 17th century, the Golden Age, when Holland was one of the most powerful seafaring trading countries. After crossing the Ijsselmeer you arrive in the province of Friesland. The peace and nature have made Friesland extremely popular with skaters, but certainly also with cyclists. The route leads you through towns and villages, with the green watery countryside in between, where farming usually determines the horizon. Other important parts of the scenery consist of the numerous little bridges, that ‘leap’ the ditches and the sailing boats that cross the vast lakes like white swans. The last part of the tour you cycle along the Ijsselmeer back to Amsterdam again. One of the highlights on this tour is a visit to the Zuiderzee museum in Enkhuizen.
On Saturday latest at 14:00 you will board the barge on which you will spend the nights and enjoy the great meals created by our chef. At 2.15 pm the barge leaves to sail to Lelystad. Here you make a short round tour to get used to your bike.
- Starting point: Amsterdam, end point: Amsterdam
- Number of days: 8.
- Total distance: approx. 261 km
- Average distance per day: approx. 40 km
Level: 1 (relaxed); mostly flat terrain.
You will be accompanied by a skilled tour guide!