The St. Laurenskerk or Great Church of Rotterdam is a perfect example of late gothic architecture and an important symbol of Rotterdam. If you’re interested in churches you should definitely have a look.
The ‘St. Laurenskerk’ or Great Church of Rotterdam is the only remaining medieval structure in Rotterdam. During the bommings of 1940, the church was severely damaged. In 1952, the people of Rotterdam decided to restore the church to its former grandeur.
Late Gothic Architecture
The Great Church was constructed between 1449 and 1525, in the late gothic period.Interesting details of the St. Laurenskerk are:
- The copper choir fence dating back to 1713,
- The sepulchers of sea heroes ‘Kortenaar’, ‘Van Brakel’ and ‘Witte de With’.
- The carillon and no fewer than four organs.
- The bronze doors made by Italian designer Manzù in 1968.
Visit the Church of Rotterdam
If you are interested in churches then you should definitely pay a visit to the Great Church of Rotterdam. It’s a perfect example of late gothic architecture and an important symbol of Rotterdam.
Search for your holiday home
Check out our extensive offers.
- 2000 holiday homes throughout Holland.
- On the coast, in a natural environment or near cities