Cycling holiday: Hanseatic Route
8 days, prices from €799,-
- Starting point: Amsterdam, final destination: Amsterdam.
- Discover the splendid Hanseatic towns along the IJssel river and visit authentic fishing villages.
- Sleep, breakfast and dine on a handsome ship and let everything be organised for you.
Limited availability. Book now!
Cycle through the sloping valley of the IJssel river and visit its many splendid Medieval Hanseatic towns. Doesburg, Deventer, Zwolle and Zutphen wear the rich mercantile history of this area on their sleeves, with ancient city walls and richly decorated merchant’s homes, all in a gorgeous natural landscape. Spend your evenings enjoying excellent dinners and the comfort of your quarters on your ship-shaped hotel the Gandalf, and if you don’t feel like cycling for a day, stay aboard the ship and relax as you are ferried to the next destination!
On the first day of your trip, you will board the ship in Amsterdam around 14:00, and immediately depart. First, you will get to know your fellow passengers and crew while sailing towards Wijk bij Duurstede, continuing on towards Wageningen next morning. From there you will cycle through the Rhine valley, taking a route that passes through the most gorgeous of nature reserves, until you reach Arnhem, where you will spend the night.
Hanseatic towns and fishing villages
After a good night’s sleep, it’s back to cycling past castles and estates to discover the various Hanseatic towns and their unique histories. The journey then continues on towards IJsselmeer lake to visit the many quaint fishing settlements along its shores. In such towns as Harderwijk, Bunschoten and Spakenburg, time seems to have ceased its passage centuries ago, and you can still see people in traditional clothing.
Discover the museums and canals of Amsterdam
After the Hanseatic towns and fishing villages, your journey continues by bicycle through forested landscapes, past castles and picturesque villages. Passing through Naarden and Muiden, you will take the winding country roads to the capital city of Amsterdam. There, the trip’s last afternoon and evening can be spent enjoying the wonderful museums, famous canals and convivial cafes, followed by a final night aboard the ship and a hearty breakfast – and after that, the journey has come to an end.
- Start point: Amsterdam, end point: Amsterdam.
- Number of days: 8.
- Total distance: approx. 275 kilometers (variations are possible).
- Average distance per day: approx. 40 kilometers.
- You can rent an electric bike (E-bike) as an option.
- This trip is also suitable for recreational cyclists and families with children.
- The cycle tours include a guide: you will cycle in a small group with the travel guide.