Cycling holiday: sail & bike IJsselmeer
- Starting point: Amsterdam, final destination: Amsterdam.
- Enjoy this beautiful cycling and sailing journey over IJsselmeer lake.
- Sleep, breakfast and dine on a handsome ship and let everything be organised for you.
Enjoy 8 days of wonderful sailing and cycling on and around IJsselmeer lake. Spend your nights on the impressive three-mast clipper ELIZABETH and enjoy a high level of comfort as you discover the most beautiful towns and nature reserves around IJsselmeer lake. The ship has an experienced crew, meaning that you need no sailing experience whatsoever to be able to enjoy this wonderful journey. And if you do not feel like cycling for a day, stay aboard the ship and relax as you are ferried to the next destination!
After boarding and meeting the crew, the first day is reserved for discovering all Amsterdam has to offer. Canals, museums, the flower market... then comes your first night of comfort in your own cabin, followed next morning by the first cycling trip through the water-rich nature north of Amsterdam, to the port town of Monnickendam on IJsselmeer lake. The third day will be spent exploring other fishing villages in the area on the way to Hoorn.
Discover natural landscapes and historic towns
Over the next few days, you will sail several routes across the IJsselmeer and visit many unique towns, such as Urk, Schokland and Enkhuizen. You will see how parts of the IJsselmeer were reclaimed and how the villages are protected from the water. The tour leads through the polders and National Parks and into the province of Overijssel. Enjoy a relaxed last day aboard while the ship takes you back to Amsterdam. There will be a brief stop for a bike tour through the Oostvaardersplassen wildlife reserve.
You can help sail the ship if you feel like it, but you are also free to simply enjoy the view over the lake slip by. Upon arrival in Amsterdam, you will once again have the opportunity to explore the city. Then, after a final night aboard the ship, the journey is over, and you can start enjoying the memories of a unique holiday.
- Start and end point: Amsterdam.
- Number of days: 8.
- No sailing experience required for this holiday
- The program may be modified in consultation due to weather and tides.
- Average distance per day: c. 35/40 kilometers.
- You can rent an electric bicycle (e-bike).
- This tour is suitable for recreational cyclists and families with children.
- The cycling tours are individual: you will cycle at your own pace with the aid of detailed maps.