Most flight passengers rate the Amsterdam airport of Schiphol because it's extremely easy to reach with public transport, and because of its modern architecture, good service and high experience factor. At Schiphol Airport - as well as taking off, landing and making a pit stop - you also have great opportunities for shopping, going out, relaxing and... even visiting a museum!
- Schiphol is the third largest airport in Europe.
- You can even find a museum on the airport premises.
- Schiphol is an experience - it's also ideal for shopping, relaxing and having fun.
Welcome to Schiphol Airport!
Schiphol Airport, or Luchthaven Schiphol in Dutch, is the largest and most important airport in the Netherlands. Located near Amsterdam, it's a significant air traffic hub and the third largest airport in Europe. Schiphol is also the home airport for the Dutch flight companies KLM and Transavia. However, Schiphol is also a real highlight from an architectural perspective.
With 71.1 million passengers per year and 350 destinations worldwide, Schiphol Airport is one of the largest airports in Europe. But that's not all. The airport building is also an experience. Benthem and Crouwel are the architects responsible for designing most of the terminals and other areas of Schiphol Airport. They are known for their high-tech constructions with a functional design. In the fascinating airport buildings of Schiphol, you'll find a shopping mile, a casino, spas, several restaurants and even a museum. The 'Airport City' is located around Schiphol Airport, where around 500 businesses have set up shop, offering over 65,000 jobs.
Sightseeing at Schiphol Airport
There's plenty on offer on the 2787-hectare airport premises. Waiting for your flight becomes an experience at Schiphol. You should definitely explore the extensive Holland Boulevard.
- You can have all the stresses of a plane journey massaged away in the XpresSpa. Spa treatments, massages, pedicures, manicures and cosmetic treatments are offered here (you can find it in Lounge 2 on the first level and at Gate D).
- Schiphol Airport even has its own museum, a branch of the world-famous Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. You can gaze in awe there at the works of famous Dutch masters (you can find it on Holland Boulevard between Lounge 2 and 3).
- You can also relax in the Airport Park, which is covered in greenery and also offers an outside area with terrace (you can find it in Lounge 1 on top of Gate D).
- Or would you rather try your luck? There's also a branch of the Holland Casino on the Schiphol Airport premises.
- Love reading? Schiphol even has its own airport library with works of Dutch literature, translated into several different languages (also on Holland Boulevard).
- From the panorama terrace in Hall 1, you have a fascinating view of planes taking off and landing. After an extensive renovation in 2019, the panorama deck became accessible again at the end of the year.
By the way: Schiphol offers free wifi thoughout the enitre airport premises.
Shopping in the Schiphol Plaza
You'll cross Schiphol Plaza when you leave Schiphol Airport. This hall is furnished with a giant steel roof and a fantastic glass facade. It plays home to stores, restaurants, a gangway to a hotel, and another to the parking deck and metro station. In Schiphol Plaza, you can even go shopping if you aren't a passenger. You'll find fashion stores and delicatessens, flower and jewelry stores, and even a shoe repairer and a drugstore. And best of all: the stores are open morning to night, from 7 AM to 10 PM. It's also ideal for buying perfume, cosmetics, souvenirs, tobacco, wine, liquor, chocolate, designer clothes, handbags, practical utensils and devices for your trip, and Dutch souvenirs. How would you like some tulip bulbs, Dutch cheese or Delft Blue for your loved ones at home? Making a trip to Schiphol Airport? The airport is very easy to reach by public transport.
Practical info for Schiphol Airport
- Getting to Schiphol by public transport: Schiphol Station is located directly under the airport buildings. The train will get you to the Hague in half an hour, and Amsterdam Central Station in a quarter of an hour. Tip: the Holland Travel Ticket, which you can use to travel throughout Holland by train, tram, bus and metro all day.
- Of course, you can also drive to Schiphol Airport by car and leave your car at one of the many parking lots there. There's a short stay parking lot (up to 48 hours) and one for longer stays (holiday parking). If you'd like to leave your car at Schiphol Airport for more than three days, you can use the P3 parking area and get the free bus to the airport building from there. Tip: reserve your parking place online and save costs.
- Do you just want to drop someone off at the airport? Then use the 'kiss & ride' area in front of Departure Lounge 2.
- You can also take a taxi to or from the Amsterdam airport. The taxi stand is well signposted within the terminal. A trip from the Amsterdam Rijksmuseum to Schiphol Airport costs at least €30.
- There are three terminal buildings at Schiphol Airport: Hall 1 for flights within the Schengen area, Hall 2 for flights within and outside the Schengen area, and Hall 3 for non-Schengen flights and low-cost airlines (also Schengen flights). You can find a floor plan of the airport buildings and parking lots on the Schiphol website.
Other airports in the Netherlands
There's also an easy-to-reach airport near the Dutch city of Eindhoven. There's also Rotterdam/The Hague Airport, located between Rotterdam and Amsterdam, which is somewhat smaller and easy to access. To find out how you can travel onwards to one of the Dutch airports after your arrival see Travel through Holland
Hotels near Schiphol
There are around 30 hotels near Schiphol Airport, including hotels from the well-known Sheraton, Hyatt, Steigenberger and Hilton chains. The advantage of staying at Schiphol Airport: you can board your flight on time and without any stress; the airport hotels are also often cheaper than those in the center of Amsterdam.
2x spending the night at Schiphol
Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Luxury four-star hotel with direct access to Schiphol Airport. Modern, sound-insulated rooms and a comfortable lounge with free Wi-Fi.
CitizenM Schiphol Airport
Modern design hotel within walking distance of the airport terminal. All rooms have a king-size bed, free Wi-Fi and free movie channel.