Since 1774 a theater is situated in the heart of the city of Amsterdam. The City Theater, or as we say ‘Stadsschouwburg’, is easily recognized as the majestic structure at the Leidseplein Square. It is the home of the Amsterdam Theater Group and restaurant Stanislavski.
- Visit this cultural gathering spot for an inspiring night on the town.
- The monumental Grote Zaal or Great Hall dates from 1894.
- Located at Leidseplein in Amsterdam.
Theater and Restaurant
The Stadsschouwburg is the homebase of Toneelgroep Amsterdam. The Theater Group of Amsterdam is the largest theatre group of the Netherlands and enjoys a great reputation. Their productions and international co-productions attract a large audience home and abroad.
Restaurant Stanislavski can be found on the first floor of the City Theater. The balcony, which has a great view over the lively Leidseplein Square, is known for the spot where football club Ajax is honored after a championship.
City Theatre Amsterdam Extra’s
Two tips for the City Theater Amsterdam:
- Book in advance to benefit from a theater menu in combination with tickets to the play.
- When most restaurants have closed their kitchens, it’s likely you can still order a dish at Stanislavski.