The Bonnefanten Museum is a fine art museum located in Maastricht. It houses a unique combination of old and contemporary art. The first floor highlights Italian, Flemish and Dutch painting as well as the museum's extensive collection of Medieval sculpture. The second floor exhibits contemporary art with a focus on American Minimalism, Italian Arte Povera and Concept Art.
- Discover a unique mixture of art from different periods: from historical art objects dating from 1200 to modern and contemporary art paintings
- Step inside the eye-catching building created by Italian architect Aldo Rossi and go up the famous Trep-penstraße (Monumental Stairs) that leads to the exhibition rooms
- Spend hours looking at the museum’s impressive modern art collection which encompasses Ecole de Paris, Art informel, COBRA, minimal art, Arte Povera and Neo-expressionism
The Bonnefantenmuseum Maastricht is known for its unique mixture of art from different periods. On the one hand, the museum shows an impressive collection of art objects dating from 1200 to 1600. On the other hand, modern and contemporary art has also found a place at the museum.
Highlights of the Bonnefantenmuseum
The permanent collection of the Bonnefantenmuseum presents contemporary art that fits the art movements Concept, Minimal Art and Arte Povera. The medieval art collection can be divided it into three sections:
- The works of woodcarver Jan van Steffeswert who lived around 1500,
- The Neutelings collection with objects made out of ivory, bronze and alabaster created between 1200 and 1500,
- Great masters from the 16th and 17th century, such as Brueghel, Van Dyck and Rubens.
Spending the night in Maastricht
Maastricht is the perfect city for a weekend trip. There is plenty to see in the many museums, you can enjoy a drink at one of the terrace cafes Vrijthof square, or go for a lovely walk and boat tour through the beautiful surroundings. Maastricht boasts a great variety of hotels, from cozy family hotels to luxury design hotels.
Address:Avenue Ceramique 250
- Visit the website
- Visit the website
Watch this video: Bonnefantenmuseum Maastricht