Take the Apples & Pears bicycle tour
Take the Apples & Pears bicycle tour of Gelderland and discover this province’s regional produce during the fruit season. This bicycle route will have you visit several fruit growers in the beautiful area of Bommelerwaard.
- Take the 16-kilometre Apples & Pears bicycle tour of Gelderland.
- Visit fruit growers and taste regional produce.
- Explore the old fortified town of Zaltbommel.
Comparing apples and pears
Discover Gelderland and its regional produce on this bicycle tour, during which you will visit various different fruit growers. Fruit picking season in Holland runs from August to October.
The tour starts in Zaltbommel, the old fortified town, and runs along the Waalkade, where you will see the statue of Jip & Janneke. These two famous children were created by the illustrator Fiep Westendorp, who made the drawings for the eponymous children’s book written by the well-known Dutch writer Annie M.G. Schmidt. Every Dutch child grows up with their stories.
You will then continue on past the various bicycle junctions and cycle through the beautiful landscapes surrounding Zaltbommel. This area has a very high population of fruit farmers, and you will see many small fruit trees as well as the gorgeous heirloom higher trees, which can be as much as 100 years old.
The end of the bicycle route brings you back to Zaltbommel, where we encourage you to enjoy some great pancakes at pancake restaurant Waterpoort.
- Kilometres: 16
- Start and end point: Zaltbommel bicycle station
- You will track the following junctions: 78 - 66 - 65 - 64 - 63 - 60 - 11 - 10 - 7 - 66 – 78
- Date: The Apples & Pears tour is best from August to October.