Cycling route past world-famous windmills (40 - 50 km)
This route will take you to the gorgeous South Holland regions of the Alblasserwaard and Vijfheerenlanden. Along the way, you will pass the world-famous windmills of UNESCO World Heritage Site Kinderdijk and the many windmills, green meadows and typical dike villages of this quintessentially Dutch polder landscape.
- South Holland has no fewer than 228 windmills!
- Make a stop at Visitors’ Windmill Nederwaard in Kinderdijk
- Discover the basis of Holland’s world-famous water engineering
Picturesque and quintessentially Dutch
The windmills you will encounter along the way tell the unique history of these green polders. For centuries, these windmills have been keeping the land dry, and the also had an important function in trade: among others, they sawed wood for the Dutch shipyards and ground grain for bread and malt wine. Along the route, you will notice the variation in windmill types: round mills, polygonal mills, hollow post mills… Most can be visited by appointment or otherwise.
Places to stop
In addition to world heritage, windmills and nature, you will encounter various interesting places to make a stop along the way, such as Streekcentrum Ooievaarsdorp, Museum Het Stadhuis and Tea Garden “De Winde”. Do make sure to check whether they’re open beforehand! And if you’ve developed an appetite, end your trip with a proper meal at Restaurant De Wachter in Alblasserdam. When the weather is good, you’ll have a table on the wonderful terrace at the back.
This windmill route starts in Alblasserdam and takes you past Streefkerk, Nieuwpoort and Bleskensgraaf, ending back in Alblasserdam.
- Number of kilometers: 40 or 50
- For the shortened 40-km route, at node 67, go straight to node 68
- Bicycle hire and Tourist Info: Zuiderstek 1, Alblasserdam, T +31 (0)78 693 2114
The addresses you’ll pass along the way
- Streekcentrum Ooievaarsdorp Het Liesvelt, Wilgenweg 3, Groot-Ammers, T +31 (0)184 602 616
- Museum Het Stadhuis, Hoogstraat 53, Nieuwpoort, T +31 (0)184 601 200
- Tea Garden “De Winde”, Achterland 4, Groot-Ammers T +31 (0)184 661 356 / +31 (0)6 1856 5669
Restaurant De Wachter, Dam 35, Alblasserdam. T +31 (0)78 699 0177
Download the complete cycling route here.
Try experiencing Kinderdijk from the water! With a boat tour over the Lage Boezem of the Overwaard, you’ll have a unique view of the polder landscape and its world-famous windmills.
Purchase your tickets to visit Kinderdijk at a discount here.
- Visit the website
- Opening hours & tickets