- Explore eighteen miles of sandy beaches on the island of Texel.
- Discover the widest and whitest beach of the Netherlands near Callantsoog.
- Enjoy splendid beaches with many family activities.
Texel is the largest of the Wadden Islands. You will find a total of eighteen miles of sandy beach here. The island has an extensive network of walking and cycling paths, museums, bars with terraces, bird areas, festivals and many sporty activities. Besides Texel, you can also visit one of the other four islands (Terschelling, Vlieland, Ameland, Schiermonnikoog). The beaches here are splendid and the family activities are plentiful.
From the most northern tip of North-Holland to the most southern stretch of beach in South-Holland there are excellent cycling and walking paths. These are the coastal highlights of the provinces North- and South-Holland.
- The widest and whitest beach in the Netherlands is located near Callantsoog.
- The highest and widest dunes in the Netherlands are found in the forestry area of Schoorl. With approximately 177 ft the Radar Dune is the highest dune in the Netherlands.
- Popular beach resorts are Katwijk, Noordwijk, Zandvoort, Bloemendaal, Hoek van Holland, Bergen aan Zee, Callantsoog, Den Helder, Egmond aan Zee and Schoorl.
- Scheveningen is the most popular beach resort of the Netherlands. Besides the beach, pier and numerous pavilions the town offers all sorts of entertainment.
- The pier at Scheveningen juts out 984 ft into the sea. It consists of two levels, the lower level is covered and the upper level uncovered. You can see the whole of Scheveningen from the viewing point at the end of the pier.
- The tallest lighthouse in Europe is located in Huisduinen. Its nickname is "Tall Jaap". This red cast iron construction towers 226 ft above the ground. You can climb the tower and enjoy the fabulous view of the Donkere Duinen nature reserve.
- The majority of fish in the Netherlands is sold via IJmuiden. This city not only boasts the largest fishing harbour in Europe, but also the largest fish auction in the Netherlands. The North Sea locksnear IJmuiden together form the largest sea lock complex in the world.
- With 650 kilometers of coastline Zeeland is a beach lovers paradise. Popular beach resorts in Zeeland are Cadzand, Oostkapelle, Dishoek, Domburg, Vlissingen, Renesse, Ouddorp and Westkapelle.
- Sun worshippers should definitely visit the beaches of Zeeland! This province has the most hours of sunlight in the Netherlands. The sun shines 140 hours more in Zeeland than in the rest of the Netherlands.
- You'll find the longest work of art in Europe along the De Wielingen promenade in Cadzand. It is 3608 ft long and consists of a series of neoclassical columns and light fittings.
- Westkapelle is home to the first lighthouse with a lighting system based on revolving mirrors. The lighthouse itself is part of the Sint Willibroduskerk church, built in 1470. The lighting system was added to the church tower in 1817.
- The flood barrier near Hoek van Holland is the only one of its kind in the world. The entire construction is twice as large as the Eiffel Tower and four times as heavy.
- De Grevelingen estuary is a salt-water lake and the largest estuary in Europe.
- You will find the longest bridge in the Netherlands between Colijnsplaat and Zierikzee. The three mile-long Zeeland Bridge takes you to the other side of the Oosterschelde.
Here you can find more information about the best beach resorts of Holland.
Accommodation along the coast
Do you want to stay at the beautiful Dutch coast? That's possible! We have a broad range of great hotels and bed and breakfasts for you.
Watch this video: The Beach
Holland is home to an impressive coastline with long beaches, blue skies and a sheer endless sea.