Ameland, the island for the entire family
Highlights of Ameland
Ameland offers many activities throughout the year:
- Beach express: tractor rides across the beach,
- Seal watching: boat tours to the seal colony on a neighbouring sandbank,
- Horseback Rescue Team: watch their monthly demonstrations,
- De Oerdblinkert: climb the 24-metres high dune,
- Commander’s homes: the oldest buildings on the island,
- Sport fishing: Ameland is a great place to fish for mackerel.
Discover Ameland with its 56-meter-high lighthouse and picturesque villages and farms. Try some of the culinary specialities of the island, such as rye bread, farm cheese, mustard and catfish. A shot of Ameland’s authentic liqueur is called a Nobeltje.
Accessibility and parking on Ameland
Ameland is within easy reach from Amsterdam and Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. It is a 90 minute drive to Holwerd, where convenient parking facilities are available. The ferry to Ameland departs from the ferry dock in Holwerd. As a passenger (on foot) you can buy a ticket to board any ferry. Are you bringing your car to Ameland? Please book a ticket well ahead of time. Please note that bicycles are the most fun means of transport on the island; you can rent them there.
Board one of the boats organizing ‘seal tours’. You will enjoy a lovely boat trip with great views of the Wadden, and of course you will visit real seals in the wild.
The Dutch Wadden area is one of the most stunning natural sites of Holland. The Wadden Sea is on the UNESCO World Heritage list. Find out more about the Wadden.
Holiday by the sea
The Dutch seaside is wonderful in every season. Learn all about about the Dutch beaches, discover our popular beach resorts and find seafront accommodations