The natural beauty and quiet of Ameland, also known as the ‘Wadden Diamond’, earned this island the Quality Coast Award in 2009. De Hôn and Het Oerd nature reserves are home to fantastic flora and fauna, and the island has a rich history of whaling and merchant shipping.
- Visit Ameland and enjoy dozens of kilometers worth of beaches and pleasant villages.
- Climb the island’s 56 meter lighthouse.
- Enjoy the many typical delicacies of the island.
Highlights of Ameland
Ameland offers many activities throughout the year:
- Beach express: tractor rides across the beach,
- Seal watching: boat tours to the seal colony on a neighbouring sandbank,
- Horseback Rescue Team: watch their monthly demonstrations,
- De Oerdblinkert: climb the 24-metres high dune,
- Commander’s homes: the oldest buildings on the island,
- Sport fishing: Ameland is a great place to fish for mackerel.
Discover Ameland with its 56-meter-high lighthouse and picturesque villages and farms. Try some of the culinary specialities of the island, such as rye bread, farm cheese, mustard and catfish. A shot of Ameland’s authentic liqueur is called a Nobeltje.
Accessibility and parking on Ameland
Ameland is within easy reach from Amsterdam and Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. It is a 90 minute drive to Holwerd, where convenient parking facilities are available. The ferry to Ameland departs from the ferry dock in Holwerd. As a passenger (on foot) you can buy a ticket to board any ferry. Are you bringing your car to Ameland? Please book a ticket well ahead of time. Please note that bicycles are the most fun means of transport on the island; you can rent them there.
Other attractions nearby
Ameland is not the only Wadden Island worth a visit; Texel, Terschelling, Schiermonnikoog and Vlieland are also impressively beautiful islands. These islands, too, have beautiful beaches and unique flora and fauna.
Are you searching for a hip design hotel, a romantic bed & breakfast, or a pleasant holiday home for your family? Ameland has suitable accommodations for every taste and budget. Check out the comprehensive selection and book your perfect holiday here!
Editors’ tip: Board one of the boats organizing ‘seal tours’. You will enjoy a lovely boat trip with great views of the Wadden, and of course you will visit real seals in the wild.