© Manon Vonk via Leiden Marketing
Morspoort city gate
The Morspoort’s name
Its name ‘Mors’ comes from the word ‘morass’. The western part of Leiden used to be a marshy meadow area. When the Morspoort was completed in 1611 this seems the name most naturally suited. The gate was always manned by city guards. It was part of the city’s defensive walls. Its cupola also served as a prison for some time.
The Morspoort is more than a beautiful entrance to the city. It is a pleasant part of Leiden with beautiful terraces that are always in the sun.