Photo: © Nicole Geri
Category:Practical information

Visa & Immigration

A valid passport is usually all you need to enter Holland. Check with the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your own country whether you need a visa. Candidates wishing to obtain a Netherlands Working Holiday Visa should also contact the Royal Netherlands Embassy. They have the necessary forms you have to complete. You will find the addresses of the Dutch embassies and consulates and more information about visas for the Netherlands at the Ministiry of Foreign Affairs

EU Customs Allowances

Just like the other EU member states, Holland has various security regulations.

  • Fluid, gel and cream containers containing less than 100 ml may be carried on board, provided these are placed in a transparent zip-lock bag. During the security checks you will have to show this bag. Only one bag per person is allowed.
  • When you travel from another EU member state, there are no restrictions on carrying See Buy Fly (tax-free) articles. Tobacco is not sold tax-free within the EU.

Receive more information about entering the Netherlands from another EU country and prohibited and restricted goods on the website of the Dutch customs

Non-EU Customs Allowances

When flying from a country which is not a Schengen country, your passport will be checked at the arrival airport in Holland. When you travel from a country that is not an EU member state, Dutch import regulations apply. Passengers aged 17 and older may carry:

  • Your usual travel baggage,
  • 200 cigarettes and one liter of spirits,
  • 50 ml perfume and 0.25 liter eau-de-toilette,
  • 500 grams of coffee or 200 grams of coffee extract,
  • 100 grams of tea or 40 grams of tea extract,
  • Other goods with a maximum total value of € 430,
  • Medicines for personal use.

If you wish to carry in excess of the above, you will have to pay VAT (Value Added Tax), and possibly other applicable taxes and import duties. Find more information about entering the Netherlands from another EU country and prohibited and restricted goods on the website of the Dutch customs

Travelling with Pets

If you wish to take your dog, cat or ferret with you to Holland, you will need to have the following veterinary documents: 

  • Travelling from outside the EU you need a valid health certificate signed by an authorized veterinary surgeon. Those who travel within the European Union need a European animal passport to travel with their pet.
  • It’s important that you have a rabies certificate signed by a local inspector of the veterinary service or another official. The animal should have been vaccinated against rabies at least 28 days prior to departure.
  • New is that owners must ensure that their pets are micro-chipped or tattooed. Pets from non-EU countries travelling to Holland also need to be inoculated and micro-chipped or tattooed.

 The Dutch customs can tell you more about travelling to the Netherlands with pets.

Discover Holland’s most beautiful destinations: cities, nature reserves, regions and provinces, everything you need to know can be found here.

Did you find this interesting? Discover more