The 11 Michelin Green Star restaurants of the Netherlands
Enjoying good food can be an amazing experience. When your meal is not only delicious but has also been prepared with a focus on sustainability, that experience becomes even more profound! So make a green choice and dine at one of the following 8 restaurants that have been awarded a Michelin Green Star.
1. De Librije, Zwolle
Jonny and Thérèse Boer's out of this world culinary talents have recognized for years. They collaborate with local farmers and use vegetables from their own garden and greenhouse. At De Librije, the love of food is ubiquitous and is evident in every aspect and ingredient of your meal: from the handpicked mushrooms to the self-caught fish.
2. Bolenius, Amsterdam
The Amsterdam Zuidas area also boasts a beautiful bounty from a vegetable garden. Luc Kusters’ restaurant is the flagship of Dutch Cuisine, a culinary movement that promotes Dutch cuisine and gastronomic culture. The vegetables at Bolenius are renowned far beyond the Dutch border.
3. De Kas, Amsterdam
Sometimes the name says it all! Restaurant De Kas (the Greenhouse) grows approximately 300 kinds of vegetables, herbs, and fruits in its own greenhouse. Jos Timmer is true to the plant-to-plate philosophy and serves fresh produce that was handpicked that very morning.
4. Lokaal, Doetinchem
Completing the circle is Bjorn Massop's ultimate goal at restaurant Lokaal (only in Dutch). He follows the farm-to-plate philosophy and uses as many locally sourced ingredients as possible. So much so, that even the serving platters were once trees in the local forest.
6. ONE, Roermond
Menus printed on paper made from tomato fiber and organic table linens: Restaurant ONE understands the true meaning of sustainability. In a rustic yet tastefully designed former factory building, Edwin Soumang serves adventurous dishes prepared with vegetables from their own garden.
7. Flore, Amsterdam
At the intimate Flore restaurant, it's all about fresh ingredients and pure flavours. Bas van Kranen and Wouter Denessen take you on a culinary journey: they call it 'conscious fine dining' which means you enjoy simple but extraordinary seasonal dishes.
8. Héron, Utrecht
Héron Petit Restaurant (only in Dutch) serves pure and honest meals. Joyce Bielderman and Victor Stukker raise awareness through their sustainable approach. Their philosophy: use every part of the animal, get fruit and vegetables locally and let nature be your guide. They personally handpick items on the menu in the wild or at a food forest.
9. Triptyque, Wateringen
Local and regional ingredients with an emphasis on vegetables, that is restaurant Triptyque (only in Dutch) in a nutshell. 'Vegetable chef' Niven Kunz is the founder of the 80/20 formula: 80 percent of the food on the plate is vegetables and the remaining 20 percent is meat or fish. All the vegetables are grown in the Westland region, which is where the restaurant is located, so the food here is as fresh as can be.
10. Aan Sjuuteeänjd, Schinnen
Organic produce rules at Aan Sjuuteeänjd restaurant (aka Sjuut, to keep it simple). Jean Thoma prepares delicious local dishes using heirloom vegetables from their own garden. Sustainability in all areas is of paramount importance here at Aan Sjuuteeänjd (only in Dutch).
11. Het Seminar, Zinderen
Self-sufficient and idealistic: these are the distinctive features of Het Seminar (only in Dutch) restaurant. Nose-to-tail cooking is the rule of thumb here. Jelle Wagenaar informs guests about the seasonality of products and cooks without a menu using only products that are available at the time.
Greener Cities – The green cities of tomorrow
Join us as we travel to the cities of tomorrow and discover how the Netherlands keeps innovating to make its cities greener, more sustainable, and more livable.More information about the green cities of tomorrow