Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis
The Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis is being renovated until summer 2014, but you can still admire the greatest art works of the Mauritshuis collection in the Gemeentemuseum Den Haag. However, the famous ‘Girl with the Pearl Earring’ is on a world tour and will only return with the Mauritshuis reopening on 27th June 2014.
‘Het Mauritshuis’ is located next to the political heart of Holland in the city center of The Hague. It has a marvelous collection of art from the old masters of the 17th and 18th century. The Girl with a Pearl Earring by Johannes Vermeer is the stunning highlight of the museum. There is a reason why it is known as the Dutch Mona Lisa.
The Art Collection
The Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis is a former 17th century palace which houses many other brilliant masterpieces, besides the ‘Girl with a Pearl Earring’:
- Paulus Potter, ‘The Bull’.
- Rembrandt, ‘The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp’.
- Johannes Vermeer, ‘View of Delft’.
- Jan Steen, ‘The way you hear it, the way you sing it’.
- Jan Brueghel the Elder with Peter Paul Rubens, ‘The garden of Eden, with the fall of men’.
- Portraits by Frans Hals.
- A self portrait by Rembrandt.
Vermeer and other Masters
The question isn’t if, but when are you going to visit the Mauritshuis? Vermeer and many other great masters are waiting for you in the Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis. The museum is very popular so make sure you come early.