Sustainability at Floriade
Sustainability is an important social theme, including during Floriade 2012. It played a crucial role during the construction of the Floriade park. The source of this inspiration is embodied by the Floriade Venlo Principles.
The motivation behind the formulation of these principles was the television documentary ‘Waste = Food’ (Tegenlicht / VPRO, broadcast in autumn 2006). The documentary was about the ‘Cradle to Cradle®’ philosophy of the American architect William McDonough and the German chemist Michael Braungart. The core of this philosophy is that all materials, after they have been used in one product, can be re-used as the raw material for another product; And all without losing quality, and without any negative consequences for future generations.
‘Cradle to Cradle®’ has three basic rules: waste equals food, the sun is the source of energy and respect for diversity. The ‘Floriade Venlo Principles’ , with the support of McDonough and Braungart, were established in the summer of 2007. The Venlo Region is the first region in the world to apply the principles of Cradle to Cradle® in regional development. It also stimulates the exchange of knowledge about this subject.
Floriade Venlo Principles
- We are native to our place: the characteristic features of the existing landscape formed the starting point for the design of the Floriade park. Aspects that were taken into consideration include the soil, the water system, the existing planting and the region's cultural history.
- Our waste equals food: creating a system of closed loop recycling is very important at Floriade 2012. Biodegradable waste is turned into compost and used to fertilise the plants and shrubs. Material which can be recycled without losing quality has been used as far as possible for the other elements.
- Sun is our income: during Floriade 2012 we will make maximum use of solar energy. Solar cells can be found all over the park, and the event is powered solely by green energy.
- Our air, soil and water are healthy: during the construction of the Floriade park and during Floriade 2012 itself we will avoid polluting our air, soil and water sources. In fact, the clever planting scheme used in the park will actually improve the quality.
- We design enjoyment for all generations: sustainability is not just ensuring clean surroundings in an environmental sense, it also encompasses aesthetic beauty. So the Floriade park is a stunning environment for you to enjoy and have fun.
After Floriade 2012
The goal of Regio Venlo is to contribute to a delightfully diverse, safe, healthy and just world. A world with clean air, clean water, clean soil and clean energy – built on a healthy economical basis so it can be elegantly enjoyed for generations to come.
After Floriade 2012 the exhibition site will be transformed into ‘Venlo GreenPark’: a green inspired, high-grade business park