For 200 years, Verwolde House was inhabited by various generations of the same family. In 1977, the house and surrounding gardens were transferred to the ‘Vrienden der Geldersche Kasteelen’ foundation. This foundation restored both the house and the gardens (built in 1926 by the landscape architect Hugo Poortman) to their full former splendor.
Even before it was built in 1776, Verwolde House had had a turbulent history. There had already been a castle on this location as early as 1179, which was stormed and destroyed in the 16th century. Years later, Verwolde House was rebuilt to become the monument that it is today.
A walking route has been laid out that runs through the park and the garden, taking visitors past boxwood topiary figures, flower borders, lawns and a conifer garden. Verwolde House also has a tearoom where you can enjoy refreshments indoors or outdoors, weather permitting (only open to visitors to the castle and/or gardens).
Find more information here.
Holland’s castles and country houses
Come face to face with history and grandeur in Holland’s castles and country houses.Read more