May 5, 2022, All of Holland
Every year, we celebrate that the Netherlands was liberated from German occupation in 1945. The flag is hoisted throughout the Netherlands and liberation festivals are held everywhere. Join in with the festivities and celebrate freedom!
- Celebrate Liberation Day on May 5th and commemorate peace and security.
- Enjoy music, theater and poetry and take a moment to consider what peace and security means to you.
- Discover the best festivals.
Liberation Day is celebrated every year on 5 May. It’s a moment to realize how lucky you are to live in a country where people live in freedom, and to reflect on the fact that there are many places in the world where this is not the case.
Visit a Liberation Festival
Every year, you can celebrate freedom at Liberation Festivals in 14 cities throughout the Netherlands. Such as the Bevrijdingsfestival in Wageningen, where the Germans capitulated in 1945. There is a Liberation Festival in every province, from Haarlem and Groningen to Roermond. With over 200 artists performing, these festivals are the biggest freely accessible events in the Netherlands. And in this special anniversary year of the nation's liberation, the festivities will be even bigger!
- Amsterdam, Cultuurpark Westergasfabriek
- Den Bosch, Pettelaarse Schans
- The Hague, Malieveld
- Assen, Festivalterrein Baggelhuizen
- Almere, throughout the city center
- Leeuwarden, throughout the city center
- Wageningen, throughout the city center
- Groningen, Stadspark Groningen
- Haarlem, Haarlemmerhout
- Roermond, throughout the city center
- Zwolle, Park de Wezenlanden
- Utrecht, Park Transwijk
- Vlissingen, throughout the city center
- Rotterdam, het Park (Euromast)