Plan your holiday
Are you planning a holiday in Holland soon? Then you’ll find practical tips a great help to ensure a great holiday. Read up on useful tips about transport to and in Holland and train, car and bike travel in Holland. You can also read up on holiday periods and public holidays in Holland, travel tips for the disabled, tourist information offices and, of course, the weather.
Plan your transportation
Holland.com Book with the experts
Watch this video: Door to Door
It's only a short trip from Amsterdam to Rotterdam.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- I would love to visit Holland. Where should I start?
Spending your holiday in Holland is an excellent idea! Find plenty of inspiration on our website. Here you can find information about cities to visit, accommodation and things to do in the Netherlands.Read more
- Which cities are located in the Netherlands?
The Netherlands is home to several cities and villages. For an overview, see our pages about destinations in the Netherlands.Read more
- I would like to book a hotel in the Netherlands.
Hotels in Holland are available in all price classes. See our hotel recommendations.Read more
- Is spending the night on a beach allowed?
Sleeping on the beach in the Netherlands is prohibited. There are several accommodations on or near a beach where you can stay overnight.Read more
- Do you also have brochures?
No, we do not have brochures. On our site you can find all relevant information and inspiration for a visit to the Netherlands.Read more
- When and where do cheese markets take place?
There are numerous cheese markets in the Netherlands. Cheese markets are usually held in spring and summer on specific days. You can find a cheese market in Gouda, Alkmaar, Edam, Woerden and Hoorn.Read more
- What is there to do in the Netherlands?
Holidays in the Netherlands means enjoying miles of coastline, nature and historic cities such as Haarlem, The Hague and Utrecht. Skating in winter, tulips in spring, swimming in summer and culture sniffing in autumn. The Netherlands has the highest museum density in the world! Discover the Netherlands!Read more
- I want to attend a concert in the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam during my stay. Where can I find the program?
You can read more about the Concertgebouw and its programming here.Read more
- Which electricity voltage is used in the Netherlands?
The standard voltage in the Netherlands is 230V.
- Where is AMS Airport?
AMS are the letters used to indicate Schiphol Airport.Read more
- Can I take a taxi from the airport?
A taxi stand is located near the Schiphol Plaza exit. Please be careful and only take a taxi at the official taxi stand. Do not step into taxis that are offered to you otherwise. Read more about taxis in the Netherlands.Read more
- Are there hotels at Schiphol Airport?
Various hotels can be found at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol and the surrounding area.Read more
- How do I get to Amsterdam from the airport?
From Schiphol Airport, you can travel to Amsterdam by taxi or public transport.Read more
- What are the best known public holidays in the Netherlands?
We celebrate the following public holidays in the Netherlands:Read more
January 1 - New Year's Day. Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. April 27 is King's Day, every year. Ascension Day. Whit Sunday and Whit Monday. We celebrate Christmas on December 25 and 26.
More about public holidays in the Netherlands here.
- What happens on 'Koningsdag' (King’s Day)?
On April 27, the Netherlands celebrates King Willem-Alexander's birthday. The entire country dresses in orange and celebrates in a festive atmosphere in one of the many street markets, fairs or exciting events organized throughout the country.Read more
- What language is spoken in the Netherlands?
Dutch is spoken in the Netherlands, but the language has several dialects. In Friesland, for example, locals also speak Frisian next to Dutch. Frisian is the only truly recognized second language in the Netherlands.Read more
- What are VVV offices?
VVV Offices are local or regional tourist information offices. Maps, entrance tickets and walking tours are all available here.Read more
- In which time zone is Holland located?
The Netherlands is located in GMT +1. The Netherlands also implements daylight saving time during the summer.
- Will I need an international driver’s license in Holland?
If you are staying in the Netherlands as a tourist for a shorter period of time, you can use your foreign driver's license. Please note that the categories are in accordance with the Vienna Convention (A, B, C, D and E). If they do not correspond, purchase an international driver's license.
- How does public transport work in the Netherlands?
Public transport in the Netherlands is very well organized. Almost any place is within easy reach by train, bus and tram.Read more
- Is it possible to travel everywhere from the airport by public transportation?
You can easily connect to other cities in the Netherlands starting from Schiphol Airport.Read more
- Where can I buy tickets for public transport in the Netherlands?
You can buy a regional public transport card at the station or a tobacco shop. You can buy a Holland Travel Ticket or Amsterdam Region Ticket online in advance.Read more
- Can I take the train from Schiphol to Amsterdam?
Immediately below Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is the NS station, with train connections to many places throughout the Netherlands. Amsterdam Central Station is a mere 15 minutes by train from Schiphol.Read more